Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: New manager..who do we want


First X1 Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 202
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


So who do we want then? What realistic names are there?

Perhaps a job title of Head Coach rather than Manager better reflects whaf we are looking for, seeing how some players are signed and released without the manager's input. Wo is out there that would fit into this structure?

 



__________________


Club Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 881
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Unfortunately no proven manager will except that. Goldberg has to have faith in a manager and let him build his own team.



__________________

 OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh When the Wingssssss



Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1978
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Gavin Sutton is the man for the job



__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1877
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Wingnut wrote:

Gavin Sutton is the man for the job


 Well said Gavin



__________________

David C in the WUSA shop



Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1290
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Unfortunately the only person who should have the job won't due to knowing there will be outside interference.

My guess is it will be someone completely random as Jamie Coyle was really.

Hopefully we find sooner rather than later.

It' a shame those two lads from leaherhead have been snapped up by concord, for 1st season in management they done well.



-- Edited by Jamison on Thursday 3rd of May 2018 09:51:10 AM

__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1378
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Daisy again? Would it happen, would either party want it? For me, every time. Otherwise, Andy Pugh or Ross Lafayette ... but I wonder whether Parky is interested?



__________________


Club Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 881
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


OMERTA elb wrote:

 ... but I wonder whether Parky is interested?


 Would you really offer a Managers job to a player/coach who was involved in not one but two spats with his own supporters in the last month of the season? Too soon for him, but would be good to keep him as a player at least.



__________________

 OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh When the Wingssssss



First X1 Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 140
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


OMERTA elb wrote:

Daisy again? Would it happen, would either party want it? For me, every time. Otherwise, Andy Pugh or Ross Lafayette ... but I wonder whether Parky is interested?


 I would go along with this (Day), but would like him to be offered a two year deal.



__________________
x


Playmaker

Status: Offline
Posts: 357
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Will be an ex player from Bromley or some random person desperate for a job.

just pray its not a repeat of last season with **** over paid players that are past it, no pace and trying to play attacking football with no quality and exposing poor defenders. Massive step backwards with Coyle going and could be the progress made this season is slung in the bin.

i think everyone would agree that a proven manager with contacts is whats needed and not a new manager or ex player which has as much chance of being a shambles as it has of being a lucky success.



-- Edited by TheGhostOfJodyBrown on Thursday 3rd of May 2018 12:00:08 PM

__________________

WAGTPTTL 

I'm an educated football ghost

J


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1647
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Chris wrote:
OMERTA elb wrote:

 ... but I wonder whether Parky is interested?


 Would you really offer a Managers job to a player/coach who was involved in not one but two spats with his own supporters in the last month of the season? Too soon for him, but would be good to keep him as a player at least.


I am massively out of the loop these days - what did he do? 



__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1378
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


J wrote:
Chris wrote:
OMERTA elb wrote:

 ... but I wonder whether Parky is interested?


 Would you really offer a Managers job to a player/coach who was involved in not one but two spats with his own supporters in the last month of the season? Too soon for him, but would be good to keep him as a player at least.


I am massively out of the loop these days - what did he do? 


 News to me, too.



__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 4370
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Too late to patch it up with Coyle I guess

Dont want Daisy....too many times

__________________


Club Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 881
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


OMERTA elb wrote:
J wrote:
Chris wrote:
OMERTA elb wrote:

 ... but I wonder whether Parky is interested?


 Would you really offer a Managers job to a player/coach who was involved in not one but two spats with his own supporters in the last month of the season? Too soon for him, but would be good to keep him as a player at least.


I am massively out of the loop these days - what did he do? 


 News to me, too.


 He reacted to comments from our supporters at Hampton and at home to Bath. To be fair to him he has contacted me to apologise to those concerned. He is genuinely passionate about the club and I hope he stays as a player/coach just not as manager.



-- Edited by Chris on Thursday 3rd of May 2018 01:09:52 PM

__________________

 OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh When the Wingssssss



Club Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 536
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Wingnut wrote:

Gavin Sutton is the man for the job


...if the job was cutting half-time oranges

Go on then, dust off your CV...



__________________


Playmaker

Status: Offline
Posts: 354
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Heart says Daisy but head says no if there's no contract and he can leave at the first sign of a better offer. I suppose Wenger at a push

__________________


New Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 40
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Gary hill?

__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1978
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


harrys180 wrote:

Gary hill?


 I reckon Harry Hill would be more likely!

Don't see Daisy coming back (or MG taking him back for that matter) although I am sure he would still be one of the best candidates. 



__________________


Club Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 684
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Surely the real question is how much cash is available? Will MG / the club, finance a full time manager, with support staff, and a budget to build a larger team squad and so that they can train more than once or twice a week?

I doubt that level of investment would be forthcoming so well get a part-timer who will have a limited budget, and have to work with a smallish squad.

I just hope Im wrong or it will be just the same old season.



__________________


First X1 Player

Status: Offline
Posts: 140
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Chris wrote:
OMERTA elb wrote:
J wrote:
Chris wrote:
OMERTA elb wrote:

 ... but I wonder whether Parky is interested?


 Would you really offer a Managers job to a player/coach who was involved in not one but two spats with his own supporters in the last month of the season? Too soon for him, but would be good to keep him as a player at least.


I am massively out of the loop these days - what did he do? 


 News to me, too.


 He reacted to comments from our supporters at Hampton and at home to Bath. To be fair to him he has contacted me to apologise to those concerned. He is genuinely passionate about the club and I hope he stays as a player/coach just not as manager.



-- Edited by Chris on Thursday 3rd of May 2018 01:09:52 PM


 I thought that was a disagreement over Brexit?  I think we shouldn't judge him too much on whether or not we remain part of a European Union. He certainly shouldn't apologise for a differing opinion.



__________________
x


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1378
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


It is puzzling, and slightly disappointing so far, that there has been no official mention of what the club is doing to replace Jamie Coyle. Nothing about advertising, "actively seeking", a possible shortlist or somebody in mind - and time ticks on as regards targeting and signing new players and signing players we want to keep from the current squad.



__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1290
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


OMERTA elb wrote:

It is puzzling, and slightly disappointing so far, that there has been no official mention of what the club is doing to replace Jamie Coyle. Nothing about advertising, "actively seeking", a possible shortlist or somebody in mind - and time ticks on as regards targeting and signing new players and signing players we want to keep from the current squad.


 I'm sure they are, you would be surprised how many managers apply for jobs when they are available...i would put money on the club having at least 20, probably even more.

If it wasn't for media outlets and rumour mills you.would have no clue about who or what a football league club was doing in the same situation, unfortunately "welling next manager" is not back page of the sun news so we'll just have to wait and see.



__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 4370
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


I still want to know what happened to Coyle...guess we never will

__________________


Playmaker

Status: Offline
Posts: 357
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Steve King, he could double up and play for our under 7s too

__________________

WAGTPTTL 

I'm an educated football ghost



Club Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 536
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Time will tell if we continue to see this clear distinction with Welling managerial staff under Mark Goldberg between his Palace old boys he recruits but who fall short of the mark (Matthew and Dyer) and those the fans appreciate and want to get behind but for whom there is some sort of fallout.

Much as I love him, I'm not keen on a third Daysie spell. More than anything else, it suggests no-one else can seem to have as much success at the club.

My choice right now: Gavin Su...er...I mean, Paul Sawyer.



__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1378
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Former Wings man Paul Sawyer, good call Sherpa. He has been understudy to that wily old fox, Tony Burman, for years although Dartford fans seem to be giving TB grief. I wonder whether Paul will have the contacts though, other than Dartford connections?



__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1978
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


OMERTA elb wrote:

Former Wings man Paul Sawyer, good call Sherpa. He has been understudy to that wily old fox, Tony Burman, for years although Dartford fans seem to be giving TB grief. I wonder whether Paul will have the contacts though, other than Dartford connections?


 Wily old fox.....I think you mean serial underachiever.

If he sacks himself (as he is on their board!) then Sawyer might consider himself a candidate for the D******** job.



__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 4280
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Wingnut wrote:

 Wily old fox.....I think you mean serial underachiever.

If he sacks himself (as he is on their board!) then Sawyer might consider himself a candidate for the D******** job.


 Judging from his post match comments yesterday, he is going to consider whether he continues very seriously. 



__________________

I know I'm biased. What's wrong with that?



Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1290
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


TheGhostOfJodyBrown wrote:

Steve King, he could double up and play for our under 7s too


 Wouldn't mind him, probably would want to much money though.  



__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1008
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


I never saw Coyle, Goldberg, Jamie Days return etc. and I doubt Ill have a clue with our next gaffer.

Just hope its someone who can deal with the board first off as we now have an owner plus investors - more than just one person to please. 

We should have good choice of candidates though. 



__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 4280
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


I wonder if there is a short list yet.



-- Edited by Danson Mark on Saturday 12th of May 2018 06:23:16 PM

__________________

I know I'm biased. What's wrong with that?



Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 4370
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


It may be very short!

__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1378
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Jamison wrote:
TheGhostOfJodyBrown wrote:

Steve King, he could double up and play for our under 7s too


 Wouldn't mind him, probably would want to much money though.  


I think he is on a 3-year contract at Whitehawk.



__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 4370
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Which means nothing these days

__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1378
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


MarkX wrote:

Which means nothing these days


 It means something to people of honour, and it certainly means something to those who may have to fork out compensation!



__________________


New Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


OMERTA elb wrote:
MarkX wrote:

Which means nothing these days


 It means something to people of honour, and it certainly means something to those who may have to fork out compensation!


 Really? Clubs ignore contracts when they fire managers so why should a manager feel bound by it



__________________


Club Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 881
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Courtjester wrote:
OMERTA elb wrote:
MarkX wrote:

Which means nothing these days


 It means something to people of honour, and it certainly means something to those who may have to fork out compensation!


 Really? Clubs ignore contracts when they fire managers so why should a manager feel bound by it


 Er no they dont. Unless a Manager is guilty of professional misconduct hell be put on gardening leave for the remainder of his contract unless he agrees a settlement.



__________________

 OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh When the Wingssssss



Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 4370
Date:
New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Doubt it...then they have to be paid...at our level not sustainable

__________________


New Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


Chris wrote:
Courtjester wrote:
OMERTA elb wrote:
MarkX wrote:

Which means nothing these days


 It means something to people of honour, and it certainly means something to those who may have to fork out compensation!


 Really? Clubs ignore contracts when they fire managers so why should a manager feel bound by it


 Er no they dont. Unless a Manager is guilty of professional misconduct hell be put on gardening leave for the remainder of his contract unless he agrees a settlement.


Gardening leave? If a manager is fired they may receive compensation but it's not really the same as honouring a contract is it? 



__________________


Club Legend

Status: Offline
Posts: 1378
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


A lot of the contract get-outs are "by mutual consent". Maybe I am very old-fashioned in that if you sign a contract you should honour it unless there are extenuating circumstances and clauses within that contract which provide for release from it if not met or provide for the contract to be challenged. At the end of the day, nobody wants to keep an unhappy manager or player who wants away - but there are circumstances in which compensation can be pursued if there is a realistic prospect of getting it without long delay.



__________________


Club Captain

Status: Offline
Posts: 684
Date:
RE: New manager..who do we want
Permalink  
 


As I understand the compensation laws you have to prove that youve suffered a financial loss before compensation is payable, unless there is a specific penalty clause in the contract of course. 

But at the end of the day if someone is looking to leave its better to get rid asap and move on.



__________________
1 2 3  >  Last»  | Page of 3  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard